Sunday, February 9, 2014

Warlord Games English Civil War Royalist Command

I try not to let politics or regional bias enter my modelling and gaming activities, but couldn't resist a Marquess of Newcastle detachment of ECW infantry.  This is the command unit;


Mostly blues and white, as being the regimental colours, so a blaze of red for sashes and banner was in order.


I think the drummer is great - that massive thing could be heard over any number of roaring cannon.  I stuck to dull colours for the trousers and headgear of the poorer troops, to contrast better with the finery of the upper echelon.


Angry and blond, the standard bearer could have been chosen for his dramatic looks more than his fortitude in battle.  He reminds me of Rik Mayall's 'Flasheart' character in the Blackadder TV series.


His sabre looks a little weedy, but I love the voluminous outfit the officer wears.  I tried tying the slashing and trim together with a dark yellow / gold sort of colour.  In the photos it looks just like the buff, but is brighter in real life.


Pike-wielding sergeant.  I'm not at all sure about the poitioning of that hat, but I did study some contemporary illustrations... maybe 17th century hat-wearing was more avant-garde than in earlier / later periods.


View from the back.  The shading and washing is a bit heavy-handed in places, making the officer's finery a bit grubby.  Lighter touch needed next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment