Sunday, February 9, 2014

Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses mounted men-at-arms

The other half of this kit appears in another blog, assembled and painted as Italian Wars Condottiere.  These six are modelled in white armour, on unarmoured horses - a common combination for the period;


The banner was chosen at random, not sure even which side they're on.  The horses in this kit are really very good, and work just as well armoured or unarmoured.  The horse armour comes in two styles, Italian and German. I've saved the six German armours from this kit, so the next box I buy I can do all 12 in German armour, with lances for maximum visual impact.


The heads are interchangeable with the other medieval sets from Perry, allowing for great variety of pose / weaponry / helmet.  The arms have a clever two-part assembly, which makes them easy to position first, and attach the lance later (when the shoulder joint has cured).


The kit includes warhammers, swords etc. as well as lances, so I went with mostly these.  With so much horse exposed, I tried to vary the colour and markings - otherwise from a distance they look very similar (being all in metal).



The mix of heads allows for some unusual combinations, like the fellow on the right, who has quite an old-fashioned 'great bascinet' type helmet on.  I think if I did these again, I'd make the horse harness more colourful, and vary the leather colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment