Saturday, February 8, 2014

Perry European Mercenaries

Another company who make awesome plastic miniatures (yes, they make metal ones too, but I'm really into my plastics) is Perry Miniatures.  The two Perry brothers are towering figures in the world of wargaming, and need no further introduction from me, so I'll concentrate on what I decided to do with them.


The European Mercenaries set was originally purchased to see how well they might fit into a Warhammer Empire or Bretonian force.  They're a tad too well-proportioned and scaled, however, and made my GW Empire guys look like seven foot steroid mutants.  So, instead, I had a stab at some Swiss crossbowmen (for no better reason than that the late-medieval Swiss are probably better known for their pikes and halberds).


The colour scheme - if it still counts as a 'scheme', with so much variety in it - is meant to convey mental images of Uri (the canton, not the spoon bender), with plenty of yellow and black.  I introduced some red to break up the uniformity, but was never really happy with the results.  If you like it more random (and, let's face it, that's much more historically accurate than my proto-uniform approach), you might wonder why.


I get asked a lot about the pavises.  I wanted to get them completed, and didn't want to wait for transfers, so I reduced some flags / badges / religious paintings and printed them out on sticker paper.  These were a first attempt, and look okay (at least I think they do), but the new ones which use the 'photo real' settings on the printer look much sharper and better.


I like the Swiss turbans.  I've seen whole units where every figure had a turban, not sure they'd have been that ubiquitous, but I could be wrong.  Either way, I only used a few.


The chap on the left is wearing a fabric-covered helmet (quite common, apparently).  I went for lively red.  I wish I'd done his brigandine a darker colour though - I'm not sure white 'works' particularly.


The command unit to go with the crossbowmen (though I think they were bought by two different people).  The officers red boots were inspired by a juggler / magician I encountered on a family holiday.  I'm really not bonding with the white brigandines...

No comments:

Post a Comment