Thursday, February 20, 2014

Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses Billmen

Some more Perry WOTR figures, this time assembled and painted as billmen;


I really enjoyed this kit, which eventually became two units of archers, part of a pike unit, and this unit of billmen.


I went for a quite stark colour scheme, of red / black / grey / white, without any badges or other insignia.


I mostly chose armoured bodies, and sallets, for this unit.  My research led to me to paint over the studs on the brigandine (as most would apparently be covered with fabric), but on reflection I think I'll go back to painting them exposed again.  Looks a bit dull in this picture.


Love the head on the leftmost chap, probably my favourite of the helmets in the kit.


The only problem I enountered with these chaps was getting some of the more dramatic poses to rank-up properly.  I'm mostly a skirmish gamer, and I have a compulsion to assemble multipart miniatures in exciting poses - stabbing, running, lobbing things - and this makes lining them up on 20mm square bases problematic.  No criticism of the kit at all, entirely down to me!


Eventually I settled on mostly 45 degree vertical, 45 degree horizontal for the bills (and spears, in the case of the fellow on the left) to get them to all nestle neatly with no gaps.  So much easier with 25mm round bases!

No comments:

Post a Comment