Sunday, February 9, 2014

Perry Wars of the Roses Archers

More Perry Miniatures medievals, this time Wars of the Roses archers painted in Percy colours (Lancastrians);


According to my research, Percy household troops (and associated levies) would usually wear orange / tawny / yellow / ochre sort of shade, so were a natural choice for me - as I prefer brighter colours on my medievals.


The archers in this kit go together beautifully, and the large unarmoured areas lend themselves well to brighter colours.


I like to base miniatures singly, as I normally play 'skirmish' type wargames, and this works well for archers, who are often deployed in skirmish fashion, with space between miniatures, as a screen for other troops.


As with other 'semi-uniformed' units, I've tried to vary where each colour is applied, without going beyond a limit of two or three colours - in this case dark yellow, medium orange, and a darkish red.


I went for mostly unarmoured bodies, as I was saving the armoured bodies for halbardiers / billmen, and I also went with more 'open' head types.  This seemed more logical for archers.


There are so many arms included in the kit that it would be possible to pose the unit with much more uniformity, if that's your bag.  My own preference was for less co-ordination.

No comments:

Post a Comment