Sunday, February 9, 2014

Fireforge Crusader-era Hospitallers

More Hospitallers!  This time a hybrid unit of foot using components from the normal sergeants set, the Templar sergeants set, and the Templar knights set;


The shields are my usual sticker paper / printer method, with the shield backs painted with planks.  The crosses on the tunics / surcoats are freehand.


Two very different poses, showing the versatility of these kits.  The chap on the left is in defensive / standoff pose, shield to the fore - while the fellow on the right could almost be taunting the enemy, daring them to come at him.  His sword arm came from the Templar knights set, I think.  The helmet too maybe.


The helmet worn by the miniature on the left (which I dubbed 'lemon-squeezer'), is the only part of the miniature I don't like.  I love his energetic stance, and can imagine him doing a bob-and-weave as he duels with an enemy.


An object lesson in what works and what doesn't.  The chap on the left looks proportioned, natural, and convincing - despite his upright stance.  The fellow on the right looks too long in the neck, and the axe is held in an awkward way.  Although the kits have great interchangeability, it's important to remember that not every arm goes with every  body goes with every head, as it were.  My mistake, of course, not the sculptor - if I'd tried the arm position myself, I'd have realised it wasn't natural.


Twins.  With no hair or fabric to help distinguish them, these two came out looking related, despite sharing no other components in common.  If I did them again, I'd probably use an open-mouthed head on the chap with the flail.  He looks a tad passive to be swinging that thing.



The planking effect on the shield back can be seen in this one - simply done with near-parallel stripes of browns over a base of buff or leather colour.

2 comments:

  1. They look great. I like the damaged shields.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, here I go. Fireforge has no figures that can be used as Hospitaller Knights. The Knights wore a capa clausa, which none of them here have. It was part of their uniform. Furthermore, the straight white crosses on the shhields on the last 3 pictures did not exist.

    ReplyDelete