Monday, February 10, 2014

Fireforge crusades-era Templar footsoldiers

I have mostly used the Templar foot sergeants set to produce Hospitallers, but I did some Templars too;


I wanted to make them as different to the Hospitallers as possible, so the shields are not divided vertically into black and white, but have plain white fields with red charges on them.


I chose lighter colours than those used on the Hospitallers - so the hose / sleeves / hoods are white, or sand, or beige.  In the case of the chap on the right, his hose have gone altogether.


I did a few different designs of Templar cross, using my usual method of printer / sticker paper.  Be careful when cutting the stickers out and placing them, the one on the right didn't quite reach the bottom of the shield.


The red crosses on the tunics were freehand (you can just see them peeking out on these two miniatures).  This is easily done, especially on the Templar Sergeant bodies (right), as there is a nice large flat area to work with.


Even though the left figure uses Templar body / arms / head, and the right figure uses 'normal' sergeant components, I think the common painting style / shields tie them together nicely.


I usually 'edge' my bases in black, to make miniatures easy to spot on the table, and it also looks quite neat.  For my own collection, for skirmish games / Warhammer, I often paint the character's name onto the base too, which heightens emotions when dealing with casualties, as you remove a named individual (Watkin of Norwich), rather than just 'that spearman on the left'.  This unit had their bases edged with a big felt tip, which unfortunately faded very quickly to a grainy, thin finish.  I went back to using paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment