Saturday, February 8, 2014

Fireforge Medieval Crossbowmen

Most of the Fireforge guys I've done so far have been holding spears or other hand weapons.  The kit does include nicely detailed crossbow arm-options too, so I produced a few units with crossbows.  These were the first;


Red / white / blue always makes a good colour combination (just ask flag makers), so I wanted to try that.  I rang the changes a little by selecting a lighter blue, and a darker red.  As with the other Fireforge units, I kept the other key colours neutral to avoid clashes.


As with other units built using the same kit, I tried varying the areas where each colour would go.  In the above case, I've omitted red from the figure on the left altogether.


The chap on the left has even painted his quiver.  The large areas of blue on the other chap are really crying out for some sort of pattern or heraldry.


For me, the more 'upright' poses worked better with the crossbows.  These two are mostly in plain white, but if you look closely you can see they've both got painted quivers.


Even when the armour is leather scales, as in these two, it was still possible to include sufficient red, white and blue to tie them in with the others in the unit.  When it came to selling, the crossbowmen proved to be less popular than the other footsoldier units, not sure why... But it hasn't put me off, I have plans to produce some 'siege' crossbowmen, with mantlets / pavises.


No comments:

Post a Comment