Monday, February 10, 2014

Perry miniatures WW2 LRDG / SAS

More of my LRDG / SAS output, I think I may have produced more 28mm LRDG / SAS than actually served for real;


If you've read my earlier posts, you'll know I sort of 'standardised' on four-man teams, usually with a mix of weapons; in this case Bren, Thompson, and Lee Enfields.


With the Bren gunner, I've tried to indicate the heft of the weapon, by positioning him shifting his weight onto the opposite foot and stretching his other arm as a counterbalance.  The excellent proportions and realistic sculpting of the components allow this sort of natural posing.


Normally, the four-man teams are composed of two chaps in cap comforters, and two in arabic head-dress.  In an earlier modelling exercise, I'd used some of the cap comforter heads to make Sikh soldiers (see later post), so I had 'arabic' style ones left over.  So this set got three of them.


This team is more of a departure, including a radioman (who I envisaged being attached from a signals battalion, hence his lack of beard, and attachment to his tin hat).  If I modelled another team like this, I'd probably replace the helmet with a cap comforter, for aesthetic reasons.


Spot the mistake with the chap on the left - yes, two pairs of sand goggles.  D'oh!


The other two chaps in the team are similar to others I've modelled.  The observant among you will have spotted that even when armed with Tommy-gun or Bren, the doughty troops still carry their bayonets.  This is based on evidence from photographic sources, perhaps because the bayonet was useful for more than just poking holes in the enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment