Sunday, February 9, 2014

Fireforge medieval secular knights

Having already used the Templat knights kit to produce both Templars and Hospitallers, I decided to try my hand at some secular knights.  originally, these were each going to have a retinue of footsoldiers in the same livery, but that didn't work out.  Not all schemes worked as well for foot as they did for knights;



A riot of colour they turned out to be, too.  If you've read my other posts, you'll know that I don't usually use more than two or three main colours when painting a unit.  With these, I wasn't so much going for a unit, as for six heroic-looking individuals - a sort of questing fellowship.


I like painting checks, and the bright scarlet colour worked very well for this.  I even painted the horse white (technically grey) to continue the theme.  The heraldic badge is from Veni Vidi Vici.


Again, if you've red my other posts you'll know I like painting red.  Stripes this time, as this Hollywood-inspired character charges into combat with his flail.  Again, a pale horse helps to emphasise the colour scheme.  I also find that geometric patterns work really well or more 'organic', flowing surfaces.


Orange is a very dramatic colour, and I'd not tried orange and white in this 'quartered' way before, so I thought I'd give it a go with this Netherlands-inspired chap.


The orange came out again for this chap.


Back to red, this time with a black contrasting band and a stylised floral design from Veni Vedi Vici.


And finally yellow, another favourite colour to paint with.  This chap was originally going to be yellow and red, rather than yellond white, but I'd already put far too much red into play already, so I limited myself to the swan and border.  The swan itself is a transfer, Veni Vedi Vici again.

No comments:

Post a Comment