Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Perry Miniatures WW2 8th Army artillery

As well as the platoon of 8th army infantry, I was asked to build / paint a six pounder AT gun, and two Bedford trucks;



The gun and crew are Perry Miniatures (again), and the kit goes together better than some of the other white metal artillery kits I've assembled.  Fit is good, and detail is excellent.  I 'ummed' and ahhhed' over how to base it, initially wanting the crew separate (to more easily show an abandoned gun during a game, for example), but in the end I was swayed by the long trail arms into basing the whole lot together on a 75mm round plywood base.




I discarded the idea of a sandbagged position, as I didn't want to obscure the excellent detail at the front of the gun.  With more time, I would have liked to include some ammo cases - as in all my reference pictures, even a gun which was fired sporadically and moved frequently was always surrounded by empty casings and boxes of ready ammo.




The Bedford trucks are Warlord Games items, and required a bit of trimming and work to get the fit right.  This might be common for resin vehicles, as my only previous experience with resin vehicles on this sort of scale was aircraft and tracked vehicles, so getting the whole truck to sit 'four square' wasn't a problem.  No driver or unit markings, which were pretty small on these vehicles anyway, as the kit didn't provide any.


No comments:

Post a Comment