Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses - Sir Thomas Howard

Another faction in a large army commission - this time Sir Thomas Howard (Surrey / Norfolk);



Another bright colour scheme for this livery, taken right off the Perry box art.  Usually, with bold schemes like this, I choose more muted tones for sleeves / hose, but this time I've mixed in some bright blue, dark yellow, and even green.  This was to help differentiate this unit from other, similar-looking, red-and-white units I'd already done.



The bright mint-green is not a colour I use often, even for medievals, but I employed it when painting some militia (unliveried) units and it looked great.  Look for these in other posts.  The badge is very small - described by chroniclers as 'a white sallet', but looking to me like a clip-art rendering of a motorcycle helmet.  I chose to freehand the badge, rather than use decals, as it was quicker.




There were two archers units, each of 19 archers plus captain and standard (I think!), so I tried to vary the appearance of the command miniatures to make them more easily discernible on the table.  Captain #1 had plate upper / livery hose lower.  Captain #2 (above) has more plate, but wears a liveried brigandine over.  The kit allows subtle variations like this, making the units more interesting to look at, if not so easy to rank-up into lines... happily, as you can see, the minis were supplied unbased, so I didn't have that headache!




A closer view of some of the Howard archers, showing that even when they all 'present' the red half of their livery, the different hose colours help prevent too much uniformity.




As with the other factions for this army, the two archer units were accompanied by a section of billmen.  Much more armour on these, so to maintain colour-scheme cohesion I bit the bullet and went with liveried brigandines.




The front rank of this temporarily-based unit shows the hose variation.  The chap second from right seems particularly loyal, having selected hose in his team colours - no doubt taking a cue from his standard bearer.

1 comment: