Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses - Richard III

Finally, the long-awaited royal Yorkist faction.  I've done the colour scheme before, several times, but not on so many troops at once (63 miniatures in total).  It looks even better on large units than individual models - and works quite well on football shirts too;



Because the claret / mulberry is a flavour of red, I studiously avoided any other red tones.  Even slightly different reds, combined on a single model or in a single unit, can 'jar' the eye.  Instead, I stuck mostly to neutrals and blues for the non-livery hose / sleeves.  I toyed with using only white, which I'd done previously for a Warhammer unit, but decided it looked too uniform.  




The 'Boar' badge didn't look like anything when I tried freehanding it, so rather than have mismatched badges, I just left it off the miniatures where the decal (Citadel Six) wouldn't stick - such as the Captain's brigandine.




The second archer unit has a plate-armoured captain, and it's the standard bearer who gets the unbadged brigandine this time.




"Loose!"




When trying to get a livery onto everyone, some of the Perry bodies present challenges - such as the plate-armoured chap second from left. The old trick of using livery colours reversed for his hose helps, as does giving him white sleeves, which I also employed on half his comrades.  As you can see, I struggled to get a badge to stick / look good on the brigandine bodies - so it's down to colours and imagination.  Another good reason for using white sleeves - the same colour as the badge, to make up for its absence.





The foot men-at-arms kit comes with a command frame including a 'Richard' and his standard bearer.  It wasn't required for this commission, but I'll definitely be painting one up and showing it on here, in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment