Thursday, May 28, 2015

28mm Wars of the Roses Casualty Markers

I completed a WoTR commission a short time ago which included some nifty casualty miniatures.  I'd seen examples of casualties from several manufacturers, but couldn't quite work out what I would ever do with them.  A vague notion of substituting the odd casualty figure among a large unit (to break up uniformity) occurred, in the same way as I might use a standard bearer, officer, musician, or hero.  But the client planned to use these as fancy casualty markers, with the aid of some nifty MDF counters;



As you can see from the above, three layers of thin MDF - the topmost with a 'window' - sandwich a printed dial with numerals on it.  The projecting lug allows you to wheel the centre disc around such that different numbers are visible through the window.  Not sure if the intention is to count up or down, but with painted miniatures using the counter for a base, it's a more eye-catching solution than a post-it note or a scrap of paper.




Each casualty was finished in a particular livery, for association with a particular unit (this would help in recognising which unit had which total casualties).  Most of the models were in livery coats, so this was easy to achieve.  I painted them the same way I do regular miniatures, except that the chap on the right looked dead - so he got a paler skin tone.




I also started to base them in the same way I normally do... and the re-read the client's carefully-worded instructions (he didn't want me to put any scenic treatments on the bases... just stick the miniatures down!  My bad).  To cover my shame and embarrassment at not being able to read simple instructions, I'll use the above pair to show the usual method I use for basing.

Step one is to blend the miniature into the base with clay (I use a hard version of plasticine, usually used for sculpting or mould making purposes).  Things aren't so bad nowadays, with the level of basing quality frequently seen at shows and in magazines, but for a long time it was acceptable in wargaming circles to just stick figures to rectangles of card with no further work involved, except maybe to paint the card / base green.  Things improved over time, but I still see examples today of poorly-disguised figure bases (leaving a 'step' visible in the scenic treatment of the base), or of miniatures which appear to be floating on top of the surface they're crossing - particularly noticeable with heavy weapons crews etc.. To counter this, the clay is used to disguise the miniatures own base edges, reduce the 'billiard table' flatness of larger bases, and to give the impression (as in the case of these chaps) that the miniatures have some weight, and are impressing themselves on the scenery.  With prone miniatures, such as these, I dampen the clay and press the miniature in, then remove him.  a couple of spots of cyanoacrylate / superglue is then applied to the hollow, and back in he goes - now held fast.  The same goes for any base details, such as small stones (shattered slate works well) or logs / ammo boxes / discarded equipment / severed heads / whatever. 

Step two is to cover the base (everything except the miniature) in PVA glue, worked into nooks and crannies with a cocktail stick.  Fine play sand is then dribbled onto the glue and the whole is left for an hour to dry before knocking off the excess sand.  Sometimes, as with WW2 Western desert and Crusader-era miniatures you can see in other posts on here, I just leave it at that.  Otherwise...

Step three is to apply base details - sometimes this is just the odd patch of green flock, sometimes a clump or two of rougher foliage.  I don't go wild with base treatments, as I like to see the miniatures clearly - and I've seen some examples (particularly among competition-entry Warhammer units) where there is so much clump foliage / bristle reeds / dead trees / fallen masonry that it's difficult to see the troops.  Or indeed how they could ever advance through such a piece of rough terrain.




Not all the casualties were quite dead.  The squire helping his man-at-arms from the field of battle is a nice little vignette in itself.  I have no sympathy for the chap on the right though, who appears to have been shot before even drawing a weapon.  If I'd been finishing-off the bases, I'd certainly have added a dropped weapon, or perhaps a miniature version of whatever had distracted him to the point where he didn't notice impending death-on-a-stick hurtling towards him.




Dazed and dead.  I'm not a great one for slathering gore all over my miniatures, but having witnessed some pretty horrific injuries in my time, I can see why people do.  Chap on the left clearly has a (currently) non-fatal head wound, so perhaps a subtle 'Hollywood drip' of blood might have been appropriate.  Maybe he is just concussed from some blunt force trauma to the helmet.  Chap on the left, however, is clearly dead or dying (pale skin tone applied - literally a dead giveaway), though seems to have no visible cause.  Unless the stress of battle has given him a stroke, then perhaps the scenic treatment could include a nice pool of blood.




Another two who are soon to be in the hands of their maker, though maybe the chap on the right is feebly raising his hand to ask for water... and might yet survive.  I suppose it depends on the rule set you use - as some allow recovery of casualties during campaign games.

No comments:

Post a Comment