Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses Northumberland / Percy

These troops were last retinue to be completed for a large WoTR commission, and represent the Percy element as present at Bosworth.  As a Newcastle native, the Percys are my 'home team' - we have a Percy Arms pub, a Percy Street, a Percy Main metro station (much of what isn't named after Percys appears to be named after the Nevilles... ahem);



I was keen to do the whole lot in the orange / tawny scheme (with blue badges) that I've used before, but the client wanted to follow the much more striking black/red with white crescent badge as featured in a well-known piece of art used by Osprey Publishing.  Handily, this also matched the Citadel Six decal sheet - so my tawny folly was gladly abandoned.




If you've followed the other posts for this huge army, you'll be familiar with the format - each retinue (painted in livery colours) was split into two units of 19 archers + standard + captain each; and one unit of 20 billmen plus standard.




I went with mostly whiet and grey for hose and sleeves, as I usually do with strong colour schemes like red/black, but about half the archers got brighter coloured hose - duck egg blue, royal blue, mint green.  A couple also got the Percy colours reversed, a gimmick I'd used previously to help preserve the 'uniform' colours on miniatures which were mostly metal-armoured.




The badges on the majority of the miniatures are Citadel Six transfers - but as I've mentioned on other posts, I struggle to get the tiny decals to sit correctly on studded brigandine or deeply-padded armour.  So, on these miniatures I freehanded the Percy Crescent in white - sometimes going for the large centre-chest badge, and sometimes the small left breast badge, for variety.



Looking back at these pictures, I notice that one officer and one standard bearer are absent... no doubt enjoying a last minute ale at the Percy Arms before heading into battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment