Saturday, September 19, 2015

Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses Billmen, Yellow Livery

The third unit (which goes with the two previous posts) was finished in a more dramatic yellow livery;



Yellow is a pain to paint with sometimes, but remains one of my favourites.  The inspiration for this livery was a motorbike - the old Yamaha racing colours.  Against a background of greys and metal finish, the yellow really stands out.




To get a really good deep yellow, you need patience.  Over the primer, I've layered white, then two coats of dark yellow, then washed with thinned brown.




I toyed with the idea of using more armoured bodies, to cut down on the amount of yellow I needed to paint, but in the end I'm glad I didn't.




As with the other units, I kept to mostly muted tones for the hose, so as not to distract from the main livery.  Light grey, panzer grey, and a smattering of black.  The red brown I usually use for leather (shoes etc.) looks better with the yellow than it does with the red.




Brigandines look odd in lighter colours, so I used the contrast black for this chap's - rather than painting it livery colour, as I did for the red and blue units.




I couldn't resist painting parti-coloured hose on this armoured guy.  I have painted whole units of Swiss in this yellow / black scheme, many with parti hose.  Looks great, and the high contrast adds drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment