Sunday, February 22, 2015

Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses - Oxford and Derby

More shots of Oxford and Derby's contingents;



Of all the troops I've done for this WoTR project so far, these Oxford guys are my favourites.  As mentioned on an earlier post, colour pairings which are 'spectral opposites' can be very eye-catching.  Blue and orange are one such combination (orange being made up of the two primary colours which are not blue).




I used a darkish blue edged in white for the badge, and have echoed this blue in some of the sleeves and hose.  Dark blue is a good utility colour - it seems to go with almost any other colour (except perhaps the greens and some brighter reds), and means I don't always have to resort to black / white / grey / brown to avoid clashes.  If you're wondering what I mean by clashes, try painting something in green and red, or purple and red.  It looks awful.  So if I'm using a very strong colour which is deep (purple, wine red, dark green) I usually pair it with lighter neutrals (khaki browns, light greys, white).  Conversely, if using a bright strong colour like yellow / orange / scarlet, I will tend to pair it with darker neutrals (panzer grey, black, chocolate brown).  Not a 'rule' as such - you'll see plenty of exceptions, especially among my medieval subjects.




Derby's men showing their 'green side'.




This shot shows the yellow eagle's leg badge, where it has to cross both livery colours.  It works much better against the green.  I wish some of these WoTR commanders had consulted me before choosing their badges and liveries.  Gold with green and tawny?  No... he should have chosen a strong geometric badge in bold white.  And don't get me started on the whole "My sun with rays looks nothing like your multi-pointed star badge. Unless it's foggy on the day"... what were they thinking?




More views of the rear of Derby's archers.






No comments:

Post a Comment