Saturday, February 21, 2015

Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses - Earl of Oxford

I love orange.  I'm too boring to wear it, but it's great fun to paint with - and medieval man was a big fan of the colour too.  One fan must have been the Earl of Oxford, as one popular livery for this Tudor-supporter was tawny with a blue star badge.  



As with other single-colour liveries, I've tried to leave the odd unliveried guy here and there (you can see him hiding at the back left).  Orange is a pretty bright colour, even when toned-down to tawny, so the hose colours are mostly dull or white, to avoid them looking clownishly colourful.




I didn't go with Citadel Six for the badges, as I couldn't get them to 'sit' correctly on the front of the models.  Instead, I've freehanded them.  There is some slight variety in size, but not enough to spoil the unit look.  As a lifelong Geordie, the blue star reminds me of home - symbol as it is of Newcastle Breweries and featuring on their famous 'Brown Ale' bottles.




Attempted reverse-angle of the above shot, but a bit blurry.  Note the dull hose colours mentioned above, apart from the chap at extreme left.  I've tried to hint at him wearing a hastily-donned quilted jack over his livery coat.  His hose are the same blue as the star badge, to help tie him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment