Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Warlord Games Bolt Action Early War BEF

I purchased the Warlord Games British Infantry and Commandos at the same time, with the intention of using the commandos for mid- to late-war games, and the 'normal' infantry for early war (France 1940).  The plastic infantry kits are not really designed for BEF, so I made some modifications;


Basically, this involved modelling gas capes, chest pack, and using only smooth (uncamouflaged) helmets.


For the helmets, I sculpted one and then made a small plug-mould from it so as to cast more.  Because it was a plug-mould, the castings came out flat-bottomed, so I had to saw the tops off the heads and stick the helmets down flat.  The rolled-up gas capes (on top of the packs) were similarly plug-moulded from one master.  This gave them nice flat bottoms making them easy to attach to the top of the backpack.


This gives a better view of the chest-pack and gas cape arrangement.  Apart from the equipment amendments, the models were painted in my usual scheme, with the exception of using  dark green wash on the helmets to give them that slightly darker, slightly shinier look which early-war helmets appear to have.


I used the kneeling legs for the sergeant, which I think gives him a really purposeful look (like a regular army sergeant would have!).  I also built a Tamiya 1/48 Universal carrier, modified to mk1 appearance (the Tamiya kit is a mk2) to go with these chaps, so I'll post that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment