Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses Yorkist Archers

In an earlier post, I showed-off some Lancastrian (Percy) archers, so I thought I'd address the balance and show you some Yorkist opposition;


Even a casual student of the Wars of the Roses can recognise the red-and-blue livery, with 'sun in splendour' badge, as Yorkist - so I went with this.  It has the added bonus of looking great.


Two approaches to the livery colours.  The chap on the left has an unbleached padded armour, so I've given him red and blue sleeves and hose to tie him in with the rest of the unit.  The other fellow has a more usual livery jacket, which I've balanced by giving him plain hose.


Medieval man loved his bright colours, so I gave some of the archers bright blue hose.  Though these two fellows have the same colour scheme (livery jacket, plus blue hose), the wide choice of heads and arm styles saves them looking too similar.


Another shot showing how you can introduce variety whilst keeping the unit cohesion - bright blue goes onto one chap's hose, and the other chap's hat; whilst a stone-grey colour is used on one fellow's sleeves, and the other chap's hose.  Further differentiation comes with the use of more metal armour (mail and helmet) on one model, and no metal armour on the other.


Usually I edge the bases in black, so apologies to the customer who bought these chaps - as it appears I forgot to!


Interesting (and purely personal) issue with these last two.  The light blue sleeves look great against the red of the livery jacket, but (to me) a little odd against the blue side of the jacket.  I probably won't use this combination again.

No comments:

Post a Comment