Thursday, July 2, 2015

More 28mm Gamezone alternative Brettonians

Here are more pictures of the Gamezone miniatures I recently completed for a client.  These are the knights, and are (if anything) even more brilliant sculpts than the footsoldiers.  As you may know, I'm not exactly youthful... and I can remember the likes of Ral Partha and Citadel in the late 70s producing classic fantasy knights just like the ones I've presented here.  The poses are a little less flat, and the overall height greater (as we moved from an actual 25mm to a nominal 28mm - which is usually more like 30, 32, or even more), but the spirit is old school.


I don't know if the choice was deliberate, but the ornate 'joust' helmet crests all have a mythical beast theme.  This first pairing being a unicorn and a dragon.  I didn't choose the yellow / white quartered scheme (that's to fit in with the client's collection), and wouldn't normally have gone for it unless historical accuracy demanded it (such as with the Wars of the Roses Tiptoft units, earlier post); but I think it really works here, especially on the dragon-helm chap, whose dark hair and skin, and large areas of exposed metal armour, might have otherwise led to him looking a little gloomy.



Booty shot of the same two knights, showing how simple quartering can look effective on both surcoat (left) and cloak (right).  I wasn't asked to paint a 'charge' or 'device' onto the quartering, but if I had, I'd have been tempted to echo the crest animals, perhaps in red for the dragon, and in white / outlined red for the unicorn.




This is the other pairing.  Now, the kneeling chap might not actually be a Gamezone miniature... but I recycled his packaging and can't remember now!  Anyhow, he is in a scheme more closely related to the footsoldiers, though in truth you can't see much of it.  Or his face.  So he's a nicely detailed lump of kneeling metal :).  All very pious and holy, but not my favourite pose to paint.  And not much to say about it either - I used my usual ink-over-highlighted-paint for the armour finish, and went with dark hair again.  The other chap was much more fun to paint.  A green dragon this time, to make him different to red-dragon dude (above), but I carried a little red hint through all four miniatures - scabbard and cloth twist on this guy.


Rear view of the second pairing.



No comments:

Post a Comment